Preparing for our final exam

I've posted the questions for the final exam (the handout from class) on our Angel site, in case anyone needs it. I've also included the list of people who said they may want to get a study group together. If anyone wants to add themselves to the list, I'll set it up so that you can.

Remember to bring your list of blog posts/comments to the final exam session if you didn't hand it in yesterday!

Valerie

Monday, September 29, 2008

The BFG

Being an extreme Roald Dahl enthusiast as a child (and today), I felt compelled to share with you one of my favorite works by him, entitled The BFG. The BFG stands for The Big Friendly Giant, and it's a story revolving around a girl named Sophie, who sees a giant sneaking around children's windows across the street, and then gets captured by the giant who spots Sophie looking at her and fears that she will spread rumors about the sneaking giants.

As it turns out, The BFG is the only nice giant in existence, and he lives among children-eating cannibals who love to eat "human beans".

As it turns out, the reason the BFG was sneaking around to children's windows is not because he was going to eat the children, but because his hobby is to create happy dreams for sleeping kids, and then he blows the blob-like dreams into children's windows through a long trumpet-like instrument. He tries to change kids' opinions of giants in general through happy dreams.

Overall, the book is absolutely fantastic, and is presented in classic Dahl form - full of creative made-up words and spoonerisms, fantastic adventures, and of course, the extremely adventourous relationship between a child and a fantastical being.

I would recommend this book to anybody looking for a quick but great read that will send you soaring into a nostalgic mist.

5 stars.
*****


evan.

1 comment:

Jennifer S said...

I have never read the book "The BFG" but when I saw the author it reminded me of one of my favorite books growing up by Roald Dahl. The book is called, "The Witches" and this was a book I could not stop reading when I was younger. They also made a movie based on the book in 1990 and I was also oppessed with watching it.

"The Witches" begins with boy who is lectured by his grandmother on how to recognize a witch. While him and his grandmother are on vacation they end up staying at the same hotel were all the witches are having a convention. The boy over hears the witches meeting on how they will banish all children by turning them into mice. From here the boy bravely tries to outsmart the witches to stop them.

This book definitely is a favorite of mine because it is extremely creative and imaginative. I know I have a copy at home and when I get a chance I will remember to bring it in. After reading this post I feel that I would also love "The BFG" because it seems to be similar to the witches in the adventourous sense. I will check it out.