Preparing for our final exam

I've posted the questions for the final exam (the handout from class) on our Angel site, in case anyone needs it. I've also included the list of people who said they may want to get a study group together. If anyone wants to add themselves to the list, I'll set it up so that you can.

Remember to bring your list of blog posts/comments to the final exam session if you didn't hand it in yesterday!

Valerie

Monday, September 29, 2008

Working in a pre-school room with two year olds, it is always fun to find good books that the children can really interact with, one of my favorites is, Go Away Big Green Monster! By Ed Emberley. This book uses exciting illustrations that really jump out at children and short simple phrases that get them interested in the book. It begins by describing what the scary monster looks like from his long green nose to his sharp white teeth, finally at the end of the book the children get to shout, "go away big green monster and don't come back until I say so!". The children in my classroom really get a kick out of this book and actually have it memorized. If you ever need a good children's book that will catch even a two year olds attention, I strongly recommend Go Away Big Green Monster! By Ed Emberley.

1 comment:

Lynden R said...

I started reading this post and thought "Did I write this? No, I know I didn't. Who else works at a preschool? It's "Go Away Big Green Monster!" I love that book!"
Then I realized Shannon posted it and we happen to work together in the same room, so no wonder it sounded so familiar! I totally agree with how awesome this book is! It's amazing to see how much children can really comprehend, even at such a young age as two. Most of the students in our class knew the book page by page and recognized the different stages and what words came next based on the pictures. It was not only a great way to get them engaged in reading, but it also helped to teach them independence and about overcoming their fears. At two, many of the children are starting to understand and express fear, whether they're afraid of a noise outside, or of a perceived danger close to them (such as a monster coming). This book gives them a fun, interactive, and really practical lesson in being confident and standing up for themselves in the face of something uncomfortable, or even scary. On a trip to the public library, one of the students, in exploring books on the shelf, found another book in Emberly's monster series that was all about feelings. The book has a separate two-page set-up for a monster of a different color and several illustrations of different emotions the monsters felt. This reinforces colors, emotions, and the connections between color representations of emotions. I've only seen these two books by Ed Emberly, but I would totally recommend these two, and probably others related.