Preparing for our final exam

I've posted the questions for the final exam (the handout from class) on our Angel site, in case anyone needs it. I've also included the list of people who said they may want to get a study group together. If anyone wants to add themselves to the list, I'll set it up so that you can.

Remember to bring your list of blog posts/comments to the final exam session if you didn't hand it in yesterday!

Valerie

Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Yellow Umbrella

Hi everyone!
I'm an artsbridge scholar at MSU and so to me I have the best job ever! I go to elementary classrooms and teach them through creative movement. All last year I was in a 4th and 5th grade split, but for my TE301 class I was placed in a kindergarten class. I was able to do some of the creative movement stuff with my kindergarteners as well when my teacher had spare time. This year I might be in the kindergarten classroom and if not I'm going to be doing something similar in that classroom through the outreach program I'm involved in through Orchesis dance at MSU. Anyway, the point of this is that I'm really interested in using the book The Yellow Umbrella that we dealt with in class this week. I think the kindergarteners would love it, especially with the music. I'm thinking of having them look at the book one time through to tell the story to themselves. I would then discuss with them about the stories that they found and any questions that they have. Then I'm thinking of playing the music again with the book and having them put movement to it. They could maybe work in groups and then share with the class, or even just do it as an entire class. I'm debating on if i want to use the words or not. I'm maybe thinking about having some groups use words and others not. And then after they all share with the class I would discuss with them the difference that the words make on the story and the movement that they put to it. Or i could have them as a class do it once without words and then once with words. What do you think? Any suggestions? I'd love to hear any opinions and/or ideas or anything to add!!! Thanks!
Shayna

1 comment:

Mike R said...

I think your idea of showing the kindergarten kids the book is a great idea. I dont recall ever "reading" a book without text. This book is not only a textless book but it incorporates music to help shape an imaginary story. I think this help sparks the creative side in the child. It also gives you a window to understand the child's background and comprehension skills after you ask them what the story was about. Before you begin to read the book I think you should make a note and show the kids the title of the book. I also think you should keep the story's plot a mystery and just play the music the first time, then ask what they thought about the story and question their answers ex; "why do you think it was a rainy day?" this will help bridge a connection from thier previous knowledge and the new information and/or insights other fellow students might have. The second time around I think the story should have words. This will help the students see if their "hypotheses" are right and/or teach the shy ones the authors perspective of the story.