Preparing for our final exam

I've posted the questions for the final exam (the handout from class) on our Angel site, in case anyone needs it. I've also included the list of people who said they may want to get a study group together. If anyone wants to add themselves to the list, I'll set it up so that you can.

Remember to bring your list of blog posts/comments to the final exam session if you didn't hand it in yesterday!

Valerie

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Alice the Fairy; David Shannon


Alice the Fairy by David Shannon is one of my favorite children books because at one point when your a child (even me) fantasies about being something other than an ordinary kid. This book is fun and amazing. On the first page of the book David Shannon starts Alice's imagination by saying "My name is Alice, I'm a fairy! I'm not a permanent fairy. I'm a temporary fair. You have to pass a lot of test to be a permanent fairy." This book allows children and adults to experience imagination. His drawings are also very good bringing the reader into the story to capture the idea of how a child believes they are a fairy. This book also extends children's vocabulary skills because he uses many big words a child might not know. David Shannon is highly praised for his children's books. He also wrote No, David which we read in class a few weeks ago. From the book No, David! he received the Caldecott Honor Book, an ALA Notable Children's Book, and a New York Times Best Illustrated Book of the Year. David Shannon also wrote two other books about David, David Goes to School and David Gets in Trouble. All three books about David have been best sellers. If you have not read Alice the Fairy I highly recommend this book. David Shannon is an outstanding writer and if you are going to be a teacher, you should definitely have a few of his books in your classroom!

No comments: