Preparing for our final exam

I've posted the questions for the final exam (the handout from class) on our Angel site, in case anyone needs it. I've also included the list of people who said they may want to get a study group together. If anyone wants to add themselves to the list, I'll set it up so that you can.

Remember to bring your list of blog posts/comments to the final exam session if you didn't hand it in yesterday!

Valerie

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

My Side of the Mountain



After reading the post about "Where the Red Fern Grows", the book that I read in middle school came to mind, "My Side of the Mountain". The book is about a boy named Sam Gribley who runs away from his home in New York, bringing only a few things with him. Sam creates a dwelling in the trunk of an old tree. He uses an axe and fire to expand a natural hollow into a home with space for a bed, stores of gathered foodstuffs, and even a small fireplace. As the book continues, Sam's kills and knowledge of the mountains and of survival grow. It is an interesting book that explains a young boys independence and determination to continue his life on the mountain. I think this books teaches important lessons and if I were to teach middle school, I would have "My Side of the Mountain" in my book collection and have my students read it as well.

2 comments:

Gina said...

This was one of my favorite books growing up. I definitely agree that it teaches children many important lessons and that they should read it in school.

Valerie W. said...

There's a hollow tree up near Lake Lansing that's pretty big. Every time I walk by it I think of this book!