Preparing for our final exam

I've posted the questions for the final exam (the handout from class) on our Angel site, in case anyone needs it. I've also included the list of people who said they may want to get a study group together. If anyone wants to add themselves to the list, I'll set it up so that you can.

Remember to bring your list of blog posts/comments to the final exam session if you didn't hand it in yesterday!

Valerie

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Diversity in the classroom library

Our class had an interesting discussion last week about building your classroom library and the diversity of topics that need to be available to children in the classroom. As a future teacher this discussion helped me a lot on the topic of diversity and also finding great literature that the children can realate to. When it comes down to it, it is our job as teachers to provide and extensive amount of literature that each student could relate to in some way becasue being able to relate to a book is one of the first stpes to enjoying reading.
I just really enjoyed the discussion becasue it allowed me to see what others were thinking and also concerns they may have had about building their collection, which helped me feel less alone in my worries. Thanks!

1 comment:

kopping2 said...

I thought this was really interesting that there was so many different kinds of groups and lifestyles represented. Like the LGBT groups when it comes to parents. I think it's good that it's there to help children in those situation understand their situation better and feel good about themselves. However I still think there is still a fine line that can't be crossed in this touchy topic. You can only go so far when it comes to children, it should be lightly touched and discussed when they're kids, and then when they're older they should gradually learn more about what is really going on