Preparing for our final exam

I've posted the questions for the final exam (the handout from class) on our Angel site, in case anyone needs it. I've also included the list of people who said they may want to get a study group together. If anyone wants to add themselves to the list, I'll set it up so that you can.

Remember to bring your list of blog posts/comments to the final exam session if you didn't hand it in yesterday!

Valerie

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Extra Credit

I attended the Trillium which is a poetry reading that TE 491 holds every year. The teachers who held this was Laura Apol and Janine Certo. I really enjoyed it and will definitely attend it next year. The teachers who teach TE 491 started by reading some of their poems, their poems were very good. One of the teachers explained that every month when there was a full moon her and her friend named Frank would get together by playing on the swings, drinking wine on the roof, and even visiting her home town. Every full moon she would write a poem to explain her night. Since there are 13 full moons in a year, she did this until she completed 13 poems. She read a few of her poems and they were very good. She showed us a power point that had pictures of every full moon she experienced with the titles of the poems. The quote she started with was, “I am wounded with tenderness for all who labored in dim rooms with their handful of words, battering their full hearts against the moon” That was written by Dorianne Laux. Some of the poems names were blood moon, harvest moon, snow moon, hungry moon. Ironically the night I attended this was also a full moon. After the teachers read some of their poems the students of TE 491 read one of their poems they wrote in class. Their poems were very good, I was amazed how great the poems were since they just started this semester. Some of the poems were funny and others were very sad. Once the students finished four eastern high school students read some of their poems. One of my favorite poems read that night was written by a high school student:
You’re the provider.
You’re the chatter.
You’re the weird one.
You’re the laughter.

You’re the athlete.
You’re the socialite.
You’re the baby,
The one we all like.

But where do I fit in?
Which word is my own?
I’m still discovering who I am,
I’m not yet fully grown.

But who am I?
What words fits me best?
Am I some sort of special?
Do I blend in with the rest?
Who do I want to be?

You say I’m kind or nice,
You say I’m caring or sweet
But behind those little words,
Who do you mean?

What do you think of me?
But why should I care?
At the end of each and everyday,
God’s the only one always there.

Each poem the high school students wrote also had some art work to follow with. The girl who wrote this one started crying once she started talking about her art work. Overall, I really enjoyed this poetry experience. I actually want to take this class now because it was really inspiring. I hope that next year more people have the opportunity to attend.

No comments: