Preparing for our final exam

I've posted the questions for the final exam (the handout from class) on our Angel site, in case anyone needs it. I've also included the list of people who said they may want to get a study group together. If anyone wants to add themselves to the list, I'll set it up so that you can.

Remember to bring your list of blog posts/comments to the final exam session if you didn't hand it in yesterday!

Valerie

Monday, November 3, 2008

The Harry Potter Uproar


In our last class we discussed diverse literature and how we need to have these so all students can be well rounded and incorporate every religion, race, sexual orientation and so many more diversifying things. But when I got home, I got to thinking of when I was in middle school and when the Harry Potter books first came out. Most of us were probably in middle school at this time and I remember after about a month our school pretty much freaked out. I went to a Catholic school and when they came out it was ok at first because no one had read them yet so no one knew what they were about. But then parents started complaining that it had had witchcraft it in it and we should not be allowed to read it. This was the only book in my whole entire life that I can remember causing so much trouble. So to go along with the idea that schools should have diverse literature, I still don’t understand how some parents won’t let there children read Harry Potter. I’ll admit that the last few books are a little graphic and I wouldn’t let my young child read them until they were older either, but the fact that the parents became involved and told the administration they shouldn’t allow this and then the administration followed is a prime example of how outside influences can affect diverse literature. Being a future teacher I’m really intimidated by this because I hate confrontation and I know that the literature in my classroom will be diverse. So if a parent or administration has a problem with what I am letting my students read them it will be really interesting.

2 comments:

Laura L said...

I remember when the Harry Potter Books came out as well. When I was in middle school, I lived in Tennessee and the book was not allowed to be in our schools. Parents said that is dealt with witchcraft which was associated with the devil. Students who wanted to read this book couldn't even bring it to school to read in their spare time.

When you said you were worried about parents and faculty becoming upset at what you were letting your students read. I think a way to avoid a bad situation is if you are having your students read a book that you are worried how parents might feel about it, just send a note home to all the parents and make sure they would allow their child to read it. This way no one can come to you and become upset with the curriculum you are teaching. IF the parents wont allow their child to read the book or discuss the topic then there is nothing you can do.

Youn-Sun C. said...

I like Harry Potter :)