Preparing for our final exam

I've posted the questions for the final exam (the handout from class) on our Angel site, in case anyone needs it. I've also included the list of people who said they may want to get a study group together. If anyone wants to add themselves to the list, I'll set it up so that you can.

Remember to bring your list of blog posts/comments to the final exam session if you didn't hand it in yesterday!

Valerie

Sunday, November 23, 2008

TE348 in my placement classroom!

I know it was a couple weeks back when we talked about diversity and lack of diversity in books but I saw something in my field placement related to this and wanted to comment on it. I'm in a second grade classroom and they were reading a story about hospitals and who works there. The pictures naturally showed a doctor as a male and a nurse as a female. However, my CT took the time to stop and discuss with the students that both doctors and nurses can be males and females. This showed that there are stereotypes in our world and that they are still portrayed in childrens books and even textbooks. However, I thought it was great that my CT stopped the students and discussed it with them. This way students will learn more than the stereotypes in the books. I just thought it was a good example of how to solve lack of diversity in textbooks in your classroom and also it shows that there definitely still is lack of diversity in textbooks.

have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments: