Preparing for our final exam

I've posted the questions for the final exam (the handout from class) on our Angel site, in case anyone needs it. I've also included the list of people who said they may want to get a study group together. If anyone wants to add themselves to the list, I'll set it up so that you can.

Remember to bring your list of blog posts/comments to the final exam session if you didn't hand it in yesterday!

Valerie

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen


Every Thursday, as a part of being a Nanny, I drive the 10 year-old and her friends to dance. Today they were talking about a book that they have been reading in class and what was interesting was that I read that same book in school when I was that age. The book is Hatchet by Gary Paulsen.
Hatchet is the story of a 13 year-old boy named Brian. The story opens when Brian is on his way to visit his father in northern Canada, and still coping with his parents divorce. Prior to boarding a single-engine plane, Brian receives a hatchet as a present from his mother. He would never guess how critically important that hatchet would become to his physical, mental, and emotional survival. Brian ends up having to pilot and land the plane alone due to the pilot’s heart attack and death. Brian lands in water and becomes stranded in the Canadian wilderness for 54 days. He then must learn to exist in this wilderness and faces many dangers including hunger, animal attacks, and even a tornado.
This book gives the readers a better understanding of what it is like to survive in an untamed land. How someone survives is as individual as a fingerprint yet it is one of the most universal emotions for humans. Hatchet forces the reader to really think about what he or she would do if abandoned in the wild.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this book! As a senior in high school I was involved in the Teacher Cadet program and placed in a fourth grade classroom for the year. They read Hatchet as part of the curriculum and I actually did my unit plans on a couple of chapters from this book. I made up lesson plans for different activities to accompany the chapters and implemented them as part of my midterm. Having also read Hatchet as an elementary student, it was fascinating to go back and consider it from a teaching perspective. There are so many great opportunities for learning and it’s fun to see the students as they get drawn into the book, experiencing the adventure right alongside Brian through Paulsen’s descriptive language.

toastie said...

Oh my gosh this was one of my absolute favorite books as a child. I read it at least 8x.

So, so good.