Preparing for our final exam

I've posted the questions for the final exam (the handout from class) on our Angel site, in case anyone needs it. I've also included the list of people who said they may want to get a study group together. If anyone wants to add themselves to the list, I'll set it up so that you can.

Remember to bring your list of blog posts/comments to the final exam session if you didn't hand it in yesterday!

Valerie

Saturday, November 15, 2008

What's up with children toys?

So as i'm sure many have noticed stores have started to play holiday music and are pushing toys for children. I was walking around the mall today and looking at toys for my nieces and nephew. Everything seems so sexist to me. All the male toys have these muscules and weapons. My nephew is into these toys where every character is male, has huge muscles, some sort of weapon, and some sort of manly vehicle. I was looking at these toys in wonderderment because no guy can ever be as big as these toys were without the help of drugs. Then i went to the girl section hoping that my nieces toys would be better. No chance..it was bratz heaven in the first isle i went into. For those that don't know Bratz are these dolls who feet's come off. They have HUGE heads and tiny bodies. As i was looking at all these dolls i just couldn't forget what ive been told now. If barbie was real she would have to crawl on all fours because her bust is so large it would weight her down. How do people know this and yet toys are getting worse and worse for children. Does anyone have any good toys that are not filling children's heads with these images? I tried to even look at video games and everything there for guys is shooting, tough guys playing sports, or racing fast and nice cars. What are there for girls to play? It just amazes me how hard it is to get the gift for a child that won't give them false thoughts and that is not fully sexist.

Karen J

No comments: