Preparing for our final exam

I've posted the questions for the final exam (the handout from class) on our Angel site, in case anyone needs it. I've also included the list of people who said they may want to get a study group together. If anyone wants to add themselves to the list, I'll set it up so that you can.

Remember to bring your list of blog posts/comments to the final exam session if you didn't hand it in yesterday!

Valerie

Thursday, October 9, 2008

A MUST READ!!!!


My Sister’s Keeper (2004) written by Jodi Picoult is definitely my favorite book. When I first read it I could not put it down and I am reading it again for the fourth time. This book is about the Fitzgerald family; Sara (mother), Brain (father), Kate (first child), Jesse (second child) and Anna (third child). Kate was diagnosed with acute promyeoocytic leukemia at two years old. The mother, father and brother were negative donor matches to help save Kate. Therefore, Anna was born by in vitro fertilization so that she would be a genetic match for her older sister. However, by the age of 13 Anna has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister Kate can fight leukemia. When Kate was 16 (Anna 13) her kidneys failed and the only chance for survival is a kidney transplant. Anna of course must be the donor. Anna knowing the reason why she was born begins to questions who she truly is because she has always been defined in terms of her sister. So Anna makes the hardest decision of her life that will tear her family apart and perhaps kill her sister she loves. She sues her parents for the right to her own body to become medically emancipated. Anna hires Campbell Alexander, who works for her pro bono. I am not going to give anything else away because you have to read this book! In 2009 “My Sister’s Keeper” is coming out as a movie; Cameron Diaz is playing Sara Fitzgerald. I highly recommend reading this book especially if you are going to go see the movie because I can guarantee the book is going to be a lot better.

2 comments:

Gina said...

I agree, this book is absolutely amazing.

It's going to be a movie? I know that no movie could do this book justice, but I'm still excited now :)

Rachel Forstat said...

I love Jodi Picoult...you should really read the book "Nineteen Minutes" if you haven't already. I have to say, I don't think her latest book is one of the better ones, though. I can't imagine that the movie will do "My Sister's Keeper" justice. I watched part of the movie adaption for "The Tenth Circle" and that was horrible, but then again, it was also a Lifetime movie!