Preparing for our final exam

I've posted the questions for the final exam (the handout from class) on our Angel site, in case anyone needs it. I've also included the list of people who said they may want to get a study group together. If anyone wants to add themselves to the list, I'll set it up so that you can.

Remember to bring your list of blog posts/comments to the final exam session if you didn't hand it in yesterday!

Valerie

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Session 9: Esperanza Rising and Multicultural Literature (Tues., Oct. 28)

Hi everyone,

I'm posting about session 9 in advance in case people want to get a head start.

For session 9, we'll have our discussion of Esperanza Rising, by Pam Munoz Ryan. I'm curious to see whether it feels different to discuss a novel, rather than a picture book! (Since this is a long text, I strongly suggest you use post-its and/or record page numbers as a reference to use in discussion!)

The other topic we'll explore has to do with issues of multicultural or diverse literature. Although I've tried to incorporate diverse books throughout the semester, this topic is important to foreground because of the underrepresentation and misrepresentation of traditionally marginalized social and cultural groups. Two readings will help you prepare for this discussion:
  • C&G Chapter 11 (Building a Culturally Diverse Literature Collection)
  • C&G Chapter 12 (Developing Responsive Readers)
  • CIBC: 10 Quick Ways to Evaluate for…” (I think this is in the coursepack. If not, will someone email me and I'll find an electronic copy to post?)
As always, textual, intertextual and critical papers are due by 6 pm the night before class!

No comments: